May 24, 2012 by
Stop Junk Food Eating:
Are you a junk food junkie? Do you love anything sweat or salty like cookies and cakes. Well who doesn't, but as we all know, junk foods can really pack on the pounds. Junk food eaters find themselves eating throughout the day, whether you are at your desk, driving the kids to school, doing errands, ect. It is mindless eating. Most of the time we don't even realize we are eating or how often we are eating.
Tips to Stop Junk for Eating, so we can Lose Inches from the Waist?
1. Swap that junk food for a healthy satisfying snack; this will help to elevate junk food cravings.
2. Repeat What You Eat; Have (1) meal a day that is the same. For example; for breakfast have the following option:
- (1) Hard Boiled Egg.
- (1) Whole Wheat English Muffin.
- 1/2 tps. Pepper
Healthy Snacks to Consider:
- Turnip Chips instead of high fat high calorie potato chips. Turnips have less carbs so you will cut back on your carb intake.
- A Peach Popsicle on a hot summer day. What is better then a delicious popsicle especially with very few calories.
- 1 cup Almond Milk,
- 1 Banana Chopped.
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla Extract.
- 1 tbsp. Agave Nectar.
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon.
- 1/2 Nutmeg.
- Popsicle Molds.
Stop Emotional Eating:
Do you find yourself hunger all day and pick eating? Well one way to curve your hunger is with resistant starch. It is a completely non-digestible starch found in fruits, beans, bananas and corn. But you can also get it in a power form, and it can be added to just about anything. Here is a recipe that you and the kids will love!
Greek Yogurt & Berry Sturry Recipe:
- 6 oz of plain yogurt..
- 10 oz bag mixed berries.
- 1 tbsp resistant starch powder.
- 1 tsp Agave Nectar.
August 28, 2010 by
Your grill can be used for more than just burgers and hot dogs. Chef John Besh says fish is a great option for a summer dinner.
Here, he offers a fresh and flavorful recipe for grilled salmon with flowering dill and a cucumber salad.
- 1 large salmon side (scaled) (#3)
- 6 stalks flowering dill (whole stalks)
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 small red onions
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Small bunch chives
- 3 stems of tarragon leaves
- 8 stems of flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
For the flowering dill dressing
Chop finely the parsley leaves, tarragon leaves, chives and fronds from 1 stalk of the dill. In a medium bowl mix together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of the rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon of sugar and all of the chopped herbs. Season the dressing to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cover and set in the cooler till ready to serve.
For the cucumber salad
Peel and slice the cucumber into 1/3 of an inch discs. Peel and slice the onion as thinly as possible.
In a medium bowl mix together the remaining rice wine vinegar and sugar, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, sliced cucumber and sliced red onion. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper, cover and reserve in the cooler.
For the salmon
Score the skin of the salmon fillet and season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil.
Lay the whole stalks of the dill on both sides of the salmon, so that the dill stalks and flowers are totally encasing the fish. Grill the fillet on both sides for 3 minutes each.
Serve the whole side of salmon straight off the grill. Serve the cucumber and shaved onion salad and the buttermilk herb dressing on the side.
April 17, 2010 by
Have you tried Quinoa the new super food?
Hopefully you have because it really has a lot flavor and taste great, and it is so healthy for our bodies, the perfect addition to your diet plan. And if you are trying to lose weight it is a great high fiber food to help you succeed.
- It has been classified as a super food because it is packed with all the essential sources of vitamins, and whole gains that are beneficial to losing weight and sustaining a healthy diet
- Quinoa is known as one of the most nutritious foods on the Planet, this super food is packed with protein and high in fiber. And remember fiber increases weight loss. Fiber acts as a binding agent, it blinds to fatty deposits flushing them out of your system increasing weight loss.
- Quinoa is considered a complete protein, which means that, like meats, eggs and dairy, it packs all the essential amino acids your body needs to build muscle. Quinoa has about twice the protein of regular cereal gains, fewer carbohydrates, and even a dose of healthy fats.
Cooking Quinoa: It is easy to cook Quinoa
It is tasty, & versatile – very much like rice.
Here is a Delicious Quinoa Breakfast Recipe
It is a great way to kick start your day!
- 1 cup or so cooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or slivered almonds (softer & sweeter when soaked overnight)
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 2 Tbsp chopped dried apricots
- Substitute dried cranberries, currants, blueberries, chopped figs or dates as you like
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup almond, hemp or soy milk, flavored or plain – add more as needed
- Optional: 1 Tbsp maple syrup, brown rice syrup or other sweetener
- Combine all ingredients in a two quart saucepan
- Heat on medium-low, stirring, until the quinoa has soaked up the liquid, and the dried fruit has plumped up nicely
- Add more milk if needed until the consistency pleases you
- That’s it. Enjoy!
Quinoa Black Bean Salad
This delicious quinoa salad has a mexican flavor, with black beans, lime, cilantro and jalapeno.
Quinoa black bean salad keeps well.
Serve warm or chilled.
4 – 6 Servings:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked black beans. If using canned beans, drain and rinse well
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Optional: 1 carrot, peeled, halfed lengthwise, sliced thin diagonally
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced OR 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, OR 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Optional: 1 large ripe tomato
- Optional: 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Pinch cayenne or chili powder
- The quinoa can be made ahead of time and refridgerated
- Soak the quinoa 1/2 hour in cold water
- Rinse very thoroughly in water several times. For each rinse, pour off most of the water and finish draining through a large fine mesh strainer
- Place in 2 qt pot with 1 1/2 c. water and 1/2 tsp salt
- Bring to a boil, turn down to low, cover tightly, and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes covered
- Fluff gently with a fork and set aside to cool
- Sauté jalapeno, fresh garlic, in 2 Tbsp oil until garlic is browned, pepper and celery are softened
- Add the green and red peppers and sauté briefly
- Add the cumin and coriander, cook and stir 5 minutes
- Blend dressing ingredients with a whisk or shake in a jar
- Gently combine sautéed veggies, tomatoes, black beans, quinoa and dressing in a large bowl
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cilantro and scallions, and serve warm or cover and chill
Quinoa With Toasted Almonds & Dried Cranberries Casserole
4 – 6 Servings: This quinoa stove top casserole cooks quickly because the almonds and quinoa are roasted, and then boiling water is added.
The quinoa should be drained well before roasting.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 vegan vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Soak the quinoa 15 minutes in cold water
- Stir the quinoa with your hand, pour off most of the water and drain through a fine mesh strainer
- Shake dry in the strainer, then set the strainer over a bowl or pitcher
- Heat a wide bottomed pan on medium heat and add the oil
- Stir and toast the sliced almonds until golden, then remove from pan
- Add the quinoa. Stir and toast until dry and turning color
- Add boiling water, veggie cube, salt, bay leaf and cinnamon stick, and dried cranberries
- Bring back to boil, cover, turn the heat to simmer, cook for 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed
- Remove from heat and allow to sit five minutes with the lid on
- Fluff gently with a fork and serve
Try Quinoa today! Purchase and save now!
Buy Quinoa from Amazon
||$30.90 In Stock
Release date November 13, 2006.
April 04, 2010 by
Did You Know that research has shown that people who consume an additional 14 grams of fiber daily cut their calories intake by 10 percent?
Fiber increases weight loss because…
- Fiber increases the sensation of fullness and influences the hormones that regulate food intake. Fiber is full of nutrients our bodies need to feel satisfied, without fiber our bodies feel unsatisfied causing us to overeat and gain weight.
- Today many American’s diets are rich in processed foods. Processed foods have no real nutritional value (no poly fats, no protein, no vitamins or minerals or antioxidants) it is truly like ingesting sugar. A diet that is rich in processed foods will lead to weight gain.
- Fiber actually acts as a binding agent, it blinds to fatty deposits flushing them out of your system increasing weightloss. And it promotes a quicker movement of food through the digestive atract. Because fiber actually passes through our intestines, it actually carries fat and calories out, preventing the body from breaking down and absorbing some of the fat and cholesterol we ingest.
High Fiber enriched foods to choose from:
Apples, (1 med = 4.0 grams of fiber)
regardless of the type, are low in calories and high in fiber. They expand your stomach, so you’ll feel full longer, and require less food to satisfy your hunger.
Blackberries (1/2 cup = 4.4 grams of fiber)
are high in fiber and relatively low in sugar. Dissolved in water, blackberries form pectin, which helps to stabilize blood-sugar levels.
Raspberries (1 cup = 3 grams of fiber)
are low in calories and high in fiber . Immediately before serving, take chilled raspberries and rinse with cool water. Make a raspberry puree to pour over fruit salad or waffles.
Artichokes (1 larger = 4.5 grams of fiber)
are high in fiber and low in fat. They require little preparation, but are time-consuming to eat – which means you’ll eat less! To prepare artichokes, wash, pull off the outer and lower petals, and trim off the pointed tips of the outer leaves. Boil them standing upright for about 30 minutes, until center petal pulls out easily. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.
Cabbage (cooked cabbage = 3.0 grams of fiber)
contains vitamins and fiber, with the fewest calories and least fat of any vegetable.
Corn (1/2 cup = 5.0 grams of fiber)
is a high-fiber, hearty, appetite-curbing vegetable. Sprinkle with herbs or fresh-squeezed lemon juice instead of butter, or rub with a wedge of lime and a sprinkle of chili pepper.
CHICK HERE TO VIEW HIGH FIBER CHART FOR MORE OPTIONS.
April 01, 2010 by
This is the Asian Crunch Salad from applebee’s
EATING OUT ON A DIET
We all love eating out, but with today’s restaurant calorie challenges it is often difficult to stay slim and healthy or lose weight while enjoying your favorite restaurant meal with your family.
You can treat yourself without packing on the pounds or hurting your diet plan! You just need to be informed about the calories in restaurant meals and below are some recommendations on restaurant meals that will keep you slim and trim.
Restaurant Dinners under 550 calories each:
Asian Crunch Salad (above) or Grilled Shrimp ‘N Spinach Salad or Grilled Dijon Chicken and Portobellos or Asiago Peppercorn Steak or Santa Fe Chicken Salad.
Dominos or other pizza place:
2 pieces of Thin Crust Pizza with grilled chicken and green peppers, and garden salad with 1 packet light Italian dressing.
Chipotle or other Mexican restaurant:
Three Steak Tacos (three soft taco shells, steak, fajita vegetables, tomato salsa and lettuce)
Ruby Tuesday or other steak place that serves plain vegetables:
Petite Sirloin, creamy mashed cauliflower, small salad or Smart Eating Grilled Chicken Wrap
Guiltless Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Baked Beans
Roasted Turkey Breast, vegetable stuffing, steamed vegetables, fresh fruit cup