As the weather gets cooler and your looking for that warm sweater why not add a soup dish to dinner tonight. It is the perfect comfort meal so warm yourself up with some healthy soup recipes. Here is a perfect feel good recipe that the entire family will love.
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1in. piece fresh ginger finely grated
- salt and pepper for taste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut int 1/2-in. cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1/4 cup dried apricots (about 6), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed
1. In a 5 to 6 qt slow cooker, whisk together the coriander, ginger, 2 cups of water, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Add the onion, squash, garlic and thyme and cook, covered, until the squash is tender. 3 Hours on high or 5 hours on low.
2. Prepare quinoa about twenty minutes before serving, place the quinoa in a medium bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups hot tap water, cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and fold in the apricots, pistachios, scallion, parsley and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, mash half the cannellini beans with a fork until smooth. If the slow cooer is on low, turn it to high and stir in the mashed beans, then add the remaining beans and chickpeas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and to with the couscous mixture.