- Hummus is a delicious way to add protein, fiber and other nutrients to your diet.
- You can serve this nutritious food in various ways. Chickpeas, the main ingredient in hummus, are rich in fiber and protein.
- They also contain vitamins and minerals such as folic acid (chickpeas tend to be higher in folic acid than other beans), zinc, and magnesium.
- Beans in general have been linked to various health benefits, such as lower blood cholesterol.
- They may also help prevent cancer. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, early lab tests show that three compounds in beans (saponins, protease inhibitors, and phytic acid) may help defend cells from the type of genetic damage that can lead to cancer.
- Hummus also traditionally features tahini (sesame seed butter), which contributes some additional protein (3 grams per tablespoon) and fiber (0.7 gram per tablespoon) along with monounsaturated fat (3 grams per tablespoon). Chickpeas and tahini both contribute fair amounts of calcium and iron, as well.
Here is a great tasting Low Calorie Hummus with Parmesan Pita Chips Recipe
- 5 4 1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, split open and each side cut into fourths.
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, finely chopped.
Place pita pieces on rimmed baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove from oven and divide parmesan cheese over pitas; return to oven for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
Meanwhile, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, cumin and salt in a food processor bowl. Process until a smooth paste forms. Spread chickpea mixture into a serving bowl’ stir in spinach. Serve with warm pita chips.
Heat oven to 350.
makes: 1 1/4 cups prep: 10 minutes bake: at 350 for 9 minutes
serving: tablespoon with 2 chips
calories per serving: 65
fiber: 3 grams
protein: 2 grams
carbohydrate: 8 grams
Snacks are essential for making sure we get the proper amount of nutrients. They refuel our bodies and allow us to be productive at work, school an... Read More >
Make your own affordable, delicious, and allergy-free staples, snacks, and meals!
After the cupboards are cleared of problem foods, most peop... Read More >