Enjoy this delicious pasta dish without worrying about the calories. This is a great Spring – Summer recipe to enjoy outdoors, and memorial weekend is coming up so add this easy light recipe to your menu and have a great holiday.
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slender zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 lemon, rind peeled in strips small pinch red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water with 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil; add the fusilli. Cook until al dente.
2. Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. add the zucchini, scallions, pine nuts, lemon peel and red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook, tossing frequently, until zucchini is well browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer zucchini to a serving bowl. Remove lemon peel from pan. Mince 1/2 teaspoon of the peel and discard the rest. Squeeze half the lemon over the zucchini.
4. Turn heat to medium-high and swirl in remaining olive oil. Add the chicken, minced lemon peel and remaining salt and cook, stirring, until golden, about 7 minutes.
5. Drain fusilli, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. add fussilli, zucchini and reserved cooking water to skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and top with the basil and, if uisng , Parmesan.
Nutrition facts per serving: 396 calories, 32 g protein, 49 g carbohydrates, 14 g fat, 6 g fiber