November 22, 2014 by
Tasty Veggies Low Calorie Treats!
Who says veggies need to be boring?
This is a great healthy low calorie side dish that the entire family will love. It is a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies. And with Thanksgiving right around the corner why not spice up your dinner with these delicious roasted carrots.
- 3 lb medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-in pieces
- 1 red chili pepper (such as fresno or serrano), halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 2-in. piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp honey
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the carrots, chili and ginger with the oil, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Transfer half the carrots to a second baking sheet. Roast both sheets until the carrots are golden brown and tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
3. Remove from oven, drizzle the honey over the carrots and toss to combine.
Makes 8 servers
per serving 147 calories, 7 grams of fat, 0 mg chol, 4 grams of fiber
April 03, 2014 by
A creamy mustard and fresh herb dressing lightly coats tender gourmet potatoes in this new take on potato salad!
3 tbs. fingerling potatoes such as red Russian, Yubon gold or any thin skinned new potato
- 3 lbs. fingerling potatoes such as red Russian, Yukon gold or any thin-skinned new potato
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs. white wine Olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. whole grain mustard
- 2 tbs. minced fresh Italian parsley
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh tarragon salt and ground pepper
Bring pot 3/4 full of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; return to a boil. Cover: reduce heat to medium-high; Parboil until potatoes can be pierced with tip of knife but are not completely tender. about 10 munitues.
In large bowl, combine warm potatoes and 1/2 cup wine: toss to coat. Cool to room temperature, tossing often, about 30 minutes. Cut potatoes in half length-wise; in bowl, toss with oil.
In separate large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, tarragon and remaining 2 Tbs. wine; let stand 10 minutes.
Prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil grill grate or vegetable grilling basket. Arrange potatoes on grill grate or in basket over medium-high heat. Grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 5 minutes per side.
Transfer grilled potatoes to large bowl with dressing; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve or cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Servings: 8 Per Serving: Calories 274g., Protein: 4g., Fat: 15g., Fiber 2g.
October 12, 2013 by
Switch out sweet potatoes to
high calorie – high fat fries
Sweet potatoes are a great alternative to fries and cuts down calories by 65%. And these sweet potato fries are pretty easy to make.
Preheat oven to 450°F. (For more crispiness, preheat your oven to 500°F.)
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then, if they are very long, in half crosswise. Cut each piece into wedges. Add two tablespoons of coconut oil and a little Parmesan cheese along with assorted herbs; oregano, parsley, rosemary and sea salt. Coconut oil adds subtle fragrance and helps create a caramelized flavor. Place on baking pan and trick to baking fries is to not have them touch each other.
Bake for a total of 25 to 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn over all of the sweet potato pieces. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until they are well browned. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
And not only are these sweet potatoes low in calories and fat but they are also rich in potassium, vitamin A and fiber.
July 25, 2013 by
Corn Basil and Tomato Salad Recipe
What is more perfert then fresh corn and paired with basil and tomatoes makes a delicious conbination.
- Salt & pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice or vinegar
In a pot of boiling water, cook corn for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside. Spray a grill pan or outside grill with nonstick spray and heat on medium-high heat. Grill corn for 10 minutes, turning every couple of minutes until all sides have grill marks. Remove from grill and set aside to cool. Once corn is cool enough to touch, use a paring knife to cut kernels off cob into a medium bowl.
Mix all ingredients togetfher and season with salt and pepper.
July 24, 2013 by
Spicy Peach Salsa
With trees bursting with peaches, this is a farmers markets staple, with a savory twist. This salsa is fantastic with plain tortilla chips, but it also pairs well with grilled fish or ham steak. It freezes beautifully, so you can have a kiss of summer for months after it's gone.
Makes 3 cups
- 6 large peaches (peeled or not, depending on your preference), halved, pitted and chopped in a 1/2 inch dice.
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Juice of two fresh limes
- Zest of half a lime
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and pasted
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined, chopped fine
- 1 red pepper, seeded and deveined, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. combine all ingredients in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Shake vigorously and chill for at least one hour before using.
July 04, 2013 by
Try these delicious Oven Zucchini Fries not only are they healthy there also tasty.
They are tasty and healthy. Slice zucchini into 3-inch-by-1/2-inch sticks. Dip into beaten egg (or egg substitute), then into seasoned breadcrumbs. Place on a baking sheet, spritz with cooking spray and bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, turning zucchini fries after 15 minutes.
July 04, 2013 by
Delicious Healthy Broccoli Salad
- 2 tablespoons of sugar, or more if you need it
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 2 heads of fresh broccoli, coarsley chopped
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
Directions: In large bowl, whisk together sugar through salt. Add broccoli, toss well. Add apples and onion, toss again. Cover, chill at least 2 hours (It is my favorite when it sits overnight)
May 24, 2013 by
Try this healthy high in fiber and nutrients – low in fat delicious focaccia recipe.
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
8 asparagus spears, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup (14oz.) artichokes hearts packed in water, drained and sllced
2 scallions, chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. finely chopped mixed fresh herbs, like rosemary, thyme and/or basil
1 pkg. (1 lb.) frozen fresh pizza dough, thawed
1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese
1. Heat over to 425. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil; coat with cooking spray, In bowl, gently toss tomatoes, asparagus spears, artichoke hearts, scalliions, oil and fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
2. On lightly floured work surface, roll out pizza dough to 14" x 11" rectangle. Place dough on prepared baking sheet.
3. Arrange tomatoes, asparagus, scallions and artichokes over dough. Sprinkly with Asiago cheese.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut bread into squares. Serve warm, if desired.
Serves 8, Per Serving: Calorie 189, 27g Fiber, 1g Sugar, Total Fat 6g.
February 21, 2011 by
This Guacamole Dip is a great low calorie Mexican treat that reduces belly fat! Have it as a snack or with a meal. It goes great with a chicken dish!
Guacamole Dip Recipe
- 2 hass avocados
- 2 tablespoons of chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro – fresh is best
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tomato chopped
- Cut avocados, remove the pits and take off the skin
- Mash avocados, and add in onions, jalapenos, cilantro and salt and mix together.
- Add lime juice and then tomatoes, and refrigerate for about 2 hour and it is ready to eat.
- tip – to keep Guacamole dip from turning brown place the pit in the dip.
Hope you like this recipe! It is really refreshing with all the delightful vegetables and herbs.
Have your heard of MUFA? It is an acronym for monounsaturated fatty acids that has recently been studied, and has been shown to reduce belly fat when you incorporate small portions of MUFA into every meal.
This is a tasty low calorie guacamole dip recipe includes monounsaturated fatty acids, refer to a MUFA, that you can include in your diet and reduce belly fat! get more information on MUFAs.
More Diet Tips and Tools:
More Diet Articles to support your weight loss goals:
Workout tips to burn more calories
Including an exercise program to your diet will help you lose more weight and get into shape.
Calorie Free Barbecue Sauce - Original 12 fl oz Bottle(S)Walden Farms Original BBQ Sauce features the delicious taste of BBQ without the calories. Use this tasty sauce for grilling, marinading and dipping. It's free of calories, fat, gluten, carbohydrates and cholesterol. Try it with your favorite recipes today, guilt free!
June 13, 2010 by
- 2 1/4 pounds potatoes
- Splash of milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sprig fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
Scrub your potatoes clean, cut them in half, and put them into a pan of salted, boiling water. Boil for about 10 minutes until tender. Stick a knife into them to check they’re soft all the way through. Drain in a colander and return them to the pan. Add the milk, butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash until smooth and creamy, adding another splash of milk if necessary. Pick a rosemary leaves off the woody stalk and lightly push them into the potato. You can drizzle with a little olive oil, or use olive oil instead of butter.